The Hamner Avenue Bridge, built in 1939, is one of the few all-weather crossings over the Santa Ana River in the region. This bridge is a critical link between the City of Norco which borders the recently formed City of Eastvale, and other unincorporated communities to the north.
The heavily used existing bridge structure has two traffic lanes, one in each direction, with no median or shoulders. It parallels Interstate-15 and is used as an alternate route through the area during traffic congestion, maintenance activities or during freeway emergencies. The existing reinforced concrete bridge is approximately 676 feet long and 36 feet wide. This the fourth bridge built in this location, replacing two previous bridges that washed away, and was widened and seismically upgraded in 1978. The 1978 bridge widening project provided a cantilevered sidewalk on the east side of the structure and installed cable restrainers through the expansion joints for seismic retrofitting.
The original Hamner Avenue bridge honored the 1902-1922 Riverside County Board Supervisor John Thomas (JT) Hamner. JT Hamner was a passionate horse rancher, dedicated to improving the region. He was also a strong supporter of public transportation and incorporated a trolley line in the area.
The new bridge’s namesake honoree is former City of Norco Mayor Berwin Hanna. Berwin Hanna, also a passionate horse rancher, is dedicated to public service and to public transportation improvements in the region, just like his predecessor.